Cosmetic dentistry offers a wide range of aesthetic procedures called to improve your smile as well as to protect your teeth and gums from adverse conditions. In this brief post we will dwell upon two popular restorative procedures which are often confused. You will also get to know what stages the veneers procedure includes and what factors determine the porcelain veneers cost.
A Bit of Terminology
For those who are unfamiliar with dental terms, we’d like to start with porcelain crowns and veneers definition. The latter are thin ceramic shells which are placed over the surface of a tooth. Veneers can be compared to contact lens, as these are also flat laminates which are adhered to the outer side. Veneers are usually used to improve bent or uneven teeth, unproportionally shaped teeth, or the excessive amount of gums display when smiling as well as other defects. Unlike veneers, porcelain crowns are used in case of more severe dental conditions, such as a significant decay and fractures. In dental industry crowns are also called caps, since they totally encircle the tooth (the remaining part of it). Thus, the key difference between crowns and veneers is an amount of tooth structure that must be restored.
Shells placement is a very fine job which requires certain skills, surgical accuracy and artistic approach. These factors contribute to the porcelain veneers cost.
The procedure itself comprises the following steps:
- The local anesthetic is used, so the treatment area is numbed for your comfort.
- Approximately 1-2 millimeters of the tooth enamel are removed from the tooth surface.
- An impression of the prepared teeth is made. The impression is needed for perfect fit veneers manufacture.
- Temporary veneers are placed over your teeth (the custom fit product will be ready in one to two weeks on average).
- When the product is ready, the dentist will clean, polish and etch the surface of the tooth for the bonding solution adhere flawlessly.
- Each veneer is attached to the tooth with special cement.
- A patient gets advice on aftercare and leaves the clinic with a new dazzling white smile.
If treated carefully, porcelain veneers will serve you for years. They can be brushed and flossed in the same way as natural teeth. In some time veneers incorporate into your natural tooth structure giving you feel of your own teeth.
Porcelain veneers cost
The cost of this teeth restoration procedure can vary from clinic to clinic, depending on the professionalism, quality of service, equipment and materials used as well as the number of teeth requiring treatment. As a rule, the sum is about 600-2000$ per tooth. When considering the price of the procedure, take into account its long lasting effect and amazing outcome.
Porcelain veneers are very beneficial: they are carbon copies of your natural teeth; they are stain resistant and bring you a natural healthy look. Don’t save on your health and beauty, address to the professionals and get the best medical help today.